Sunday, September 11, 2011

8th Period History

Back in high school I took a class that defined my scholastic years. I took AP US Junior year with Mr. Bartlett and I will never forget the class because of the tough coursework, challenges it brought me, and of course learning about our nations history. Ten years ago today, an event happened that would change our nations future and our text books forever.

In class, one of our last assignments was learning about flash bulb memories. Flash bulb memories are those that you can recall where you were, what you were doing, and the effect it had on you when something occurred. For homework, we were to ask another generation what their flash bulb memory was and for my father his was when JFK was shot; he was in school in the 7th grade and in science class. My mother's was when the Challenger exploded in 1986 (I'll keep her age a secret).  Mr. Bartlett went on to say that for our generation September 11 would be our flashbulb memory and that although many other things, good or bad, in our life and in our nations history would happen, this is the one event we will never forget where you were. I can  tell you I was also in the 7th grade and I learned through rumors in the hall. No one knew the real story and no one knew what to say. Teachers went on with the day like nothing had happened and the day went on as normal. It wasn't until I came home at 3 pm  that I saw the news and at 7 pm we went to church. I wore a pink short sleeved cardigan set.

Today, stop and remember where you were when you heard the news and how it effected you. 
Today, take time to remember those who were lost, those who survived, and those who were heros. 


God Bless

[Editor's note: AP US was actually 7th period junior year. Violence and Non-Violence senior year with Mr. Bartlett was 8th Period.]

No comments:

Post a Comment