Sunday, June 12, 2011

Down to Business

I have never been more exhausted after three days of training then I am after this past week. It’s a very long process for a $7.25 an hour job but we learned everything there is to know about how it is to work for the company, integrity, the 4 ‘keys’ and so on. You learn the main information in Traditions, then go to your department orientation where you learn how to apply it to your field, then go to your area and learn how to apply it there as well. In the recreation department, there are only 35 of us, which includes lifeguards. Only one person is chosen to do the child’s activity center in a resort, so Lauren and I got extremely lucky (she is doing the same thing at Wilderness Lodge). Everyone keeps saying we hit the jackpot, and I think they are right. We have awesome costumes, great hours, and who wouldn’t want to hang out by a pool all day? I finally got to go to the Y&B cluband it’s amazing. It has a lazy river, sand pool, a small sand beach (you can’t go in the water though due to alligators) great restaurants, etc. It’s also only a 5 minute walk to Epcot so on lunch break if you want you can go get enchiladas in Mexico. Like anything, there is a hierarchy job wise. Lifeguards are on top because they get paid a good amount, don't have to wear the "Earning my Ears" ribbon because no parents wants to know that person saving their child is new, and they get to wear crocs. In recreation, Child’s Activity center is up top. It beats out marina operator for #2 and slide operator and arcade worker in dead last #7 place. Custodial actually is high up there because of the freedom you have to walk around. Quick service food and beverage isone of the lower jobs because it’s long hours, hot, and if you get placed in a slower resort and not a park, it gets boring.

This is for Alicia- to be a princess you must be 5’7. Sorry short stack L You go to face audition and they pick you apart and if you have any flaws, you’re out. They can’t have Cinderella having any distinctive marks. If you want to just be a regular character, you can go to face auditions and be between 5’1-5’6. Did you know that Alice and Wendy from Peter Pan were drawn based off the same model? So if you get Alice you could play Wendy, but she is a lot smaller and more petite. Also, Walt never liked the character of Alice, he thought there wasn’t a connection between her and the audience. If you know who plays different characters oryou are one, you have to say “I’m friends with X” So I am friends with Tigger in Epcot, Mickey, and Goofy. If you are a certain height you could play different characters because of the costume size.

Enough talking, here are pictures finally.

Earning My Ears officially Gorilla at Animal Kingdom

B-E-A-utiful Giraffe during the Safari

l


In the Engine Firehouse on Mainstreet, they display patches from firehouses and rescue squads. I asked if I could put FRFARS up and they said sure, but we have a box full you can look through. And our patch was ON TOP, and will be put in the new display this year!

3 comments:

  1. At least you get paid $7.25 an hour to do interesting work. Try SIX HOURS of linens! I'm not one to complain, but that even pushes me. (If I ever go into the hospitality industry, I will never do housekeeping, not that I don't appreciate what our staff does they have a hard job (I've got to tell you about what happened this week, text me when you get a chance)). I want to see your "awesome costume." Oh, and where do the front desk people fit into the hierarchy?

    Glad you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Front desk people are pretty high up too, since they get alot of interaction and work indoors. If you work at a higher resort then you are even luckier. Only problem is the hours, they have days and days of training before they even get behind the counter and since each resort has the desk open 24 hours, you could have rough hours.

    Least HK gets tips, the only perk of cleaning people's rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay sooo first off... i am thinking about suing disney for discrimination. Just because I am only 5 feet DOES NOT mean I don't know how to be a princess.... second.... maybe i will come down to audition to be wendy... technically i am 5 feet and 3 quarters of an inch, but they always round up for me at the doctor's office...

    ReplyDelete