Sunday, June 26, 2011

I'm on a Boat and It's going Fast and

...I've got a nautical themed, Pashmina Afghan
I'm the king of the world, on a boat like Leo
If you're on the Shore, then you're sure not me, oh

I was so glad I was able to sit in a nine hour professional rescue class on Thursday. I have never learned CPR or how to stop bleeding so learning it all in a fun class with Lauren. Just kidding. It was very boring but at least I passed the practical and got a 100% on the exam. We practiced CPR on the dummies about 10 times in 3 minute scenarios, then practiced on kids, then infants. If someone was stuck or needed help we all had to start over which was unfortunate. Only good thing about it was it was nine hours of pay, so I will get in that OT again. At night, I went to the midnight premeire of Cars 2 in Downtown Disney. I thought it wouldbe packed but it was actually empty. If you're going to see it, don't spend the extra 3 bucks on 3-D, it didn't make the movie any better. However, we saw previews for the new Disney movies coming out and I would highly recommend seeing The Lion King in 3-D for a limited time in November, it looks amazing. The movie was ok, not what I expected but we got to talk about it at work the next day with the kids to get them excited and to talk to up to their parents so they could go pay some dinero to watch it.

Friday I was able to do my first pirate cruise! The outfits are beyond ridiculous. Seriously ridiculous. I have to wear a skort, a scratchy shirt, and a vest that looks like the one those monkeys wear with a Fez hat. On the cruise, the kids really make the trip. Our group was 9 kids and they were ok, just some got a little rowdy and didn't want to listen. The cruise is in a Pontoon boat that fits 10-12 people. It's really nice and we go around to Epcot, we go into Canada, "boat around the world,' head to Hollywood Studios, then pretend to crash. Best part is when we crash we give the kids a snack as we try to get ourselves out and so we can eat a snack too. Being on a boat with an empty stomach is not recommended. All around the water there are clues and maps the kids have to try to figure out. I actually didn't love the cruise as much as I thought I would, but I think that was because I was just shadowing. And they didn't get my pirate jokes. Kids these days...

After I went out and did the afternoon activities and lead many of the events. I jumped in the pool to play a game with the kids because they weren't understanding the concept that wasn't hard. Fill the bucket, pass it up, dump it in a bigger bucket. What makes it fun is the bucket has holes so the water is coming out of it as they are passing it up. I thought at cooking camp kids couldn't get instructions when they were on the board but this is a new level of not comprehending. I know its for fun, but I want to win! Just once. I even had them huddle up for a strategy. Still no dice. I also got to lead the Cotton Eye Joe which is by far the most annoying dance of the century. When I was those kids age we did it all the time, but now it is a dying dance and many people don't know it. This would be Patti's dance in the spotlight.

Saturday was a fun/tiring/draining day. I had to be at the Marina at 7 am to do my driving test for the boats. I was actually really nervous but I did really well and I want to be cross trained on the firework cruises we do for those with extra cash to spend. The instructor was really chill and was very good at telling us exactly what to do. Only embarrasing part was when people were gathering around the marina to board the Friendship boats to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. They would either ask if we could take them somewhere or if we knew what we were doing since we were practicing docking. That was the only tricky thing, especially parking in-between two expensive boats that aren't yours. The great part about going on the water was learning how close I am to Epcot and Hollywood. Literally the Beach Club backs up Mexico and the Boardwalk is just a 10 minute walk to Hollywood. You can even run to one park to the other.

Saturday night I went to Universal with a co-worker. We went to the midnight showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show and contrary to popular belief, I actually think the movie is wack. After Meatloaf dies, the movie is just all weird from there on out. Before I get angry comments, I LOVED doing it at Mason and making it a tradition that will continue. Watching people have fun, throwing stuff at the screen, and dressing up as transvestites from Transylvania is just my definition of a good time but I rarely watch the whole movie. Even cleaning up the confetti and rice was great staff bonding time (Right John and Lauren?)

Rocky Horror: The Aftermath 2010

The kid I went with is under 21 so when we tried entering City Walk, we had to go in a different line and have a security guard literally walk us to the theater. I asked if they were going to stay with us in the movie and they said they walk U-21 to the theater and that's all. What is the point? Once they leave you can technically still walk around. The whole experience was good, but as many of you know the actors there don't speak but they act out as they movie is happening and they yell the whole time at the screen. Totally fine, but some jokes were just wayyy off color even for my taste. It also gets old about an hour into the movie people madlibing the lines. This was an interesting crowd too, alot different then my Mason people dressing up in drag.

After my third night in a row out way past my bedtime and waking up early, I had to get up yet again today for my dance class. Many of you don't know this, but I can get cranky very easily when I haven't slept. Today was like sweating to the oldies but instead of Richard Simmons we had a frost-tipped ex- Peter Pan dancing to Miley Cyrus. Watching people dance is hilarious. I guess I'm fortunate enough to know how to do a 4 and 8 count and recognize beats because although I can't dance well, at least I can dance on a count. A few people in class were VERY excited to be there and treated it like an audition. We already have the job hun, no need to break your back over the cha-cha slide. This one girl who was there has auditioned twice a year for the past 5 years to become a character. Kudos for never giving up. I'm back in to work again today at 3:45 for Sandcastle club, the babysitting club we have where parents can dump their kids in the hours of 4:30 and 12 for the low price of $11.50 per kid. I would feel so bad if I was a kid on a family vacation and my parents dropped me off sothey can go to dinner without me but it's parents like those who help me have a job. BTW- this place is open every day and they said the holidays are actually a busy day for kids. How sad :(

Finally some pictures!
The Boat that is pool/slide
Camp fire on the beach
View of the lake facing the Boardwalk Resort
Pool has it's own small beach
My Roommate, Lauren and I our first night together.
This was before I had a hairbrush.

Costume pictures to come once they are clean!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I don't know how many vacuums we blew out that night.
    I will say that in my 10+ trips to Disney, only once did my parents drop me to go eat. (I was one of the youngest people to eat at Victoria and Albert's ever! I still remember getting a tour of the kitchen. The food is, obviously, really good.
    Man, I walked through Jackson the other day and I was really, really sad. The only sign of my presence there was a small glue mark on the door from a Christmas decoration, that's how good housekeeping is. So, I think Programming Opportunity (yeah, weird John, blame my job)! Anyway I'm coming up with something called "Operation Creating Legacies" I'm going to tell Lauren about it next week.
    And I am jealous that you can easily get to a movie theater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaa send me an email about your legacy idea. I want to write up all the programs we did and an action plan. I'll do it in all my free time

    where is Victoria and Albert's?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grand Floridian. It's the best restaurant in all of Central Florida

    ReplyDelete