Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Ho. Ho. Ho.

In my 23 years of living in this world I have never been away for a major holiday. Sure, I spent one Easter with the Thornton's in Virginia but it was still family. Being away for Christmas was a feeling that I never want to feel again; it was almost sad. I'm not sure if it didn't feel like Christmas because I was in denial my program is ending soon, if I was too lazy to go Christmas shopping, or if the 83 degree holiday weekend screwed up my spirits, but regardless, it was not the Holly Jolly Christmas I am used to.

First off, on Christmas Eve I had chicken tenders and fries. At home they ate a huge Italian feast. That same day I was sweating at the pool. At home they were "warm" in their 40 degree weather. I got off work at 9pm and went for a run. At home they were just cleaning up and eating dessert.

Christmas day was no different except it marked the last day I would be working at the Boardwalk Resort. It was another sunny day with the parks at full capacity, the pool was steady with guests, and memories were being made. Only difference was instead of playing Radio Disney songs we played Christmas music and said "Merry Christmas" every so often.  One of our coordinators wives made us a turkey and a ham so we all were able to have a nice meal and although I ate a bunch it still didn't stop me from eating at Denny's  : The American Institution with Colleen after work.   But back to Christmas away--I am not sure of what is more depressing; me being away because I had work down here or families that would be away from home by choice. Sure, a great Christmas surprise would be a trip to Disney but you know what, Santa doesn't want to have to deliver presents to your hotel room nor does he want to tackle the large crowds and traffic while down here.

I asked kids what they got for Christmas and the spoiled brats said "nothing." I asked them to explain and they said, "Well, I only got an Ipod touch and some clothes." I kindly explained to them that they should appreciate everything they get because one day Santa is going to stop giving them gifts and will only get them stuff if they are very specific and they should appreciate what they get now.  I felt like the Grinch, but kids these days are spoiled. O and hello, you came to Disney for Christmas, that is a gift enough.

So back to me ending this program soon. My last official day is January 1st and I have to be out of my apartment by 11 am on January 3rd. Six months ago I purposely decided not to rush everything here because I had six months to do it all. Well, six months later I haven't gotten  as much as I wanted to and that is sad.  Although the thought of me bearing children is a horrific thought, I will want to bring them down here one day and I can experience things with them that maybe I didn't get to. However, like I tell people, I am moving not dying, so I will be back here before they can even miss me.

Stay tuned for a farewell blog but for now here are some pictures


True story 


CP Formal 
Photo shoot! 
Senor Frogs 

Matching PJs!








No comments:

Post a Comment