Thursday, August 4, 2011

"You've made great progress in Florida, Sarah"

As said by Lauren in reference to my tan.

Finally I have been working a lot of hours and am going to be working 10 days straight with a 12 hours day  on Sunday. Seems a lot, but some days I don't go in until 6 pm so I really have the whole day off to do what I need to do which is normally sit by the pool, eat, and run errands.

Life here is getting to be more routine, I can't believe on Saturday it will be two months since I've been down here already; it has been going by very fast yet slow all at the same time. I have done so much in two months and yet I haven't made a dent in the Disney/Orlando scene. Lauren graduates next week and when she comes back we are going to start crossing things off of our Disney Bucket List with help from the book John gave me for graduation. I still haven't been to Magic Kingdom since that first week I was here and only rode Pirates and Small World.  Sad, isn't it?

It's weird to me that for the first time in the history of my life I am not getting ready to go back to school in a few weeks. It's a nice feeling not going to lie, but as many of the college program people and seasonal people are getting ready to leave and head back to school I feel I should be doing the same. In so many ways this is like summer camp that the sun never sets on.  I have gotten to like many of the lifeguards I work with and who are leaving and seeing them go is a weird feeling; I am sad they are not going to be here but I know a new batch will come in and leave with me in January. For someone who doesn't get attached to really anything, I am starting to get attached to my life down here.

Luckily for you all I will come back a softer person. And trust me, it's not dealing with the kids all day that has made me a softer person because most of the times I want to push them in the pool for not following my directions or when they don't understand my simple directions. It's like in cooking camp when I would get mad when the kids would ask me what the next ingredient was when it was written on the board even though some kids couldn't read yet. It's just because when you work at a happy place, you can't help but not to be happy. People still bother me, but there are few days I walk out of work mad, agitated, or upset. Shocking, right?! The people though who bother me the most are those on the bus or in the cafeteria. I sit with my ipod and book every day which I thought was a clear sign of "buzz off" I'm in Sarah land reading what Suze Orman has to say about financial planning. However, I was wrong because some people are too nice here or lonely they see it as a way to start a conversation and want to talk to me about what I'm reading, how my day is going and how I like my job. I'm sorry, but my break is the only 50 minutes in my 8 hour day to zone out and you are disturbing the peace in this smelly and sad cafeteria. The only person I will always allow to interupt is my managers when they come in to eat dinner. I will give up my seat to have them sit with me and it is during those times we talk about random things in addition to work and they really get to know me which is awesome because 1) they seem to like me and 2) they are giving me hints and tips of what to do and how to do it. I'm seeing some nice recommendations in my future.

Again, this is the difference between me and those still in college doing this program. We are all doing it for an experience but as I'm doing it for an experience that will propel my career, they are doing it as an experience to party. Here is a recent conversation I had with someone as I was taking out the garbage...

Random Dude (RD)- Is that your pack [of cigarettes] you dropped?
Me- O no I don't smoke, but i'll throw it away.
RD- Really? You don't smoke?
Me- Nope.
RD- That's weird. Do you just not smoke cigarettes?
Me- [ puzzled look on my face]
RD- Well I mean do you smoke anything else?
Me- Umm no.
RD- O okay. You're probably one of the few.
Me- I like to be original.

As you could probably guess, Disney doesn't do drug testing.

The other day I went to dinner with one of the lifeguards and we went to Pizzeria Uno. Normally prejudice against any pizza that isn't from a mom and pop in NJ, I was hesitant to go but it was actually pretty good even though I had to use a fork and knife to eat it. Anywho, they awkwardly have someone come around and take your picture while you are waiting so we got our picture taken for hahas. When we got the picture back, our waiter asked if we liked it and were going to buy it. Me being me, I decided to go into this long story of how we were breaking up and I wanted to do it in a public place with food so at least it wouldn't be a total loss. Thankfully the kid went along with it and we had the poor waiter going for most of the dinner.  Even off property we stay in character and play the part. He was an amazing waiter paying special attention to us, took away the extra sharp knives, and said he would get us a free dessert. We eventually told him the truth and he was relieved  and earned a very good tip for his participation in our entertainment for the evening.


I promise to have more pictures up soon! I need to get out once in a while to places other then my resorts.  However, a belated Happy Birthday to another Higgins, my faithful follower, Cristina!

The Neighborhood Girls



4 comments:

  1. the four of us need to legally drink when you return!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, a softer person? Can't imagine it, it wouldn't be you, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea..... summers are just not the same once you take school out of the picture. Why did we have to graduate??????

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know John isn't that crazy? Don't worry I still jut my chin out when people make me mad but I am not as harsh. This trip was good for something I guess

    ReplyDelete