Thursday, July 14, 2011

Work hard, Party (responsibly) Harder

I had to add the responsibly in because some readers would be concerned for my well being. But I'm fine! And John, no worries, I'm not reverting to freshmen in college ways that we saw our residents do. It's been a month of being down here and we are now all settled; we have a routine of work, where to go shopping, and new friends. Settling in was a transition but now we are all having fun in our own individual ways in the apartment. Last night was our first night ever going out together and it was an interesting experience. We went to Jelly Rolls with a few people and I invited a friend (Colleen) from work. When you look around you can tell who is here on vacation, a conference, or works here. Those on vacation drink up and be merry because hell, it's vacation. Those here for a conference drink their beer, maybe a dark liquor, wife if not with them and they don't seem to mind too much. Those who work on property stick out because they seem more comfortable with their surroundings, like it is their bar and you are all just invited guests. We stayed until closing which although it is 2 am they make sure you are walking out the door by 1:40 so you are technically to your car by 2. I drove this time and so I only had 1 beer and wasted it on a Bud light that tasted like college, if college had a taste.

Earlier in the day I had to babysit kids for an Edward Jones Conference we had. Awkwardly enough I saw some of the dads at Jelly Rolls later that night sans kids. Since we had to be in at 8 am, we had to clock in fifteen to five minutes before hand. I set two alarms, with the earliest being 6:38. Somehow, I slept through the alarms and luckily randomly woke up at 7:33 am and jumped out of bed and got ready faster then I ever did back in high school when Patti would get in the car and start leaving without me or at Mason when I would literally go to our 10 am Tuesday meetings in whatever I wore to bed, slipped on my white slippers, tie dye sweatshirt, and walked out. Because I pull my clothes out the night before and pack my backpack, I was in the car (no lying) by 7:36 am. I got to work and clocked in at7:51. Applause is in order. When I told my story, people were surprised i actually looked put together. After the gig, which ended at 1:30, I went for a run from Hollywood studios to Epcot and a lap around the Boardwalk. Now it's 2 pm outside in Florida. I made the poor life choice of running but I had my brand new Nike running outfit I couldn't resist to test it out. Once I got to my car it said it was 104 degrees. I'm actually getting used to the heat though and as long as there is a breeze it's manageable.

Today I was back outside (finally) to work. I'm outside the next few days which is amazing. I have found that I enjoy the pool parties better at Boardwalk because the pool is easier to do activities in and the crowd of people is more fun. Yacht and Beach the pool is amazing but it's hard to get the crowd going as much. However, the camp fire and movie is much better at Y&B because it's on the beach and you can see the fireworks from both Epcot and Hollywood. Again, not as fascinated at fireworks as most people, but it is cool to watch them on the sand. We watched Tangled (not one of my favorites honestly) and the night was just beautiful. Considering today was one of the hottest days we've had so far, the night was gorgeous. Full moon, sky full of stars, no humidity, slight breeze. It was one of those nights where you could wear anything and be comfortable. Only thing I was missing as I was sitting in a lounge chair watching the movie was 1) a drink 2) someone to watch it with. I would take #1 over #2 unless #2 brought #1 over to me and in that case I would take both #1 and #2.

After work, I met Colleen at Buffalo Wild Wings since it is their "club night" That's right, the same place where you can eat endless boneless wings turns into a club Wednesday night. I was shocked that at midnight the line was 100 deep and inside had karaoke while the patio had club music and alot of sweaty people. Since I can't help observing people, I made me laugh how people were dressed. Most of the kids are still in college and in that Thirsty Thursday mindset so they are dressed in dresses, heels, heavy make up. I was the opposite. My hair was up, I smelt like a camp fire and chorine, and wore jeans and a tank. I would say I was underdressed but I was at Wing joint in the middle of a shopping center. It was fun though and again reminiscent of college days. I know those weren't that long ago but since I rarely went out in college I would imagine if I did this is what it would feel like. Since most of the people in there were CPs, they were complaining when we got out at 2 am what time they had work tomorrow. Luckily I work 3-11:30 all week so I don't have that issue.

Not sure if I mentioned this in an earlier blog, but working here you see mixed emotions from everyone. Tiredness, crabiness, to hungry, and thats just the parents! Kids go from happy to sad in an instant and you almost feel bad. If you are bringing kids here in the summer, know how to do it and don't drag them around all day because everyone involved will be miserable. I see these kids and want to just smile looking at how cute they are but then I turn around and they are throwing random tantrums and mom is yelling at them and I am so happy I send them on their way after the movie. Maybe I'm not so much a kid person as I was when I got here.....

I will need to start taking more pictures but I haven't been out much and clearly I can't be trusted with electronics in the Parks. Here is a MySpace-esq photo of myself before work finally.
Showtime

We joke that it looks like we work at McDonalds. Jokes on us.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, a Bud Light tastes like college? You really have become jaded, Sarah. Anyway, I'm wondering when you're starting all those great Disney classes you were planning on taking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classes don't start until the school year starts. i didn't want to take summer classes because I wanted to make sure I got settled with work. Plus, I just finished school wanted to take time off.

    Security seminar starts in October

    ReplyDelete