Saturday, July 2, 2011

Your Vacation is my Reality

First off, Happy Fourth of July Weekend! I wish I could be home for the party since I was a main petitioner in having one again, but alas I am here working the whole weekend.

I have had a great week thus far. I had two days off which is a nice way to break up the week. On Wednesday I met my Chief from the rescue squad and his family at Epcot. I accidently left my phone on Test Track and we had to hunt down the car we were in based on the photos and then wait for the car to come back around twice to get the phone. Ten minutes into the day I am somehow loosing something. We rode a few rides but then the sky opened up and it started pouring so we went back to their timeshare right outside of property and had lunch. Because it is Florida, the rain would not stop and only got harder so we stayed inside and I learned how to play Bananagrams. Being a huge fan of Scrabble and words, I instantly loved this game. This would make a great stocking stuffer, Mom. Being able to have a home cooked lunch and dinner with a family was really great and for an afternoon I felt I was back in Jersey.

Thursday I went to St. Augustines with a few people from work . It's a cute historic town about an hour and a half away which was perfect for a day trip. First we stopped at an Alligator farm because well, that's what they do in Florida. The entrance price was a whopping $20 bucks but I saw that if you were an EMT, FF, Police, or Dispatcher you got in for 20% off. Sweet. Get to the register, and the women said that I would be getting in for free and the rest of my party would be 20% off. These alligators were looking better and better. There were an assortment of reptiles and random monkeys but the alligators were ridiculously big. Big, fat, and lazy actually and all I wanted was for them to move or do something. Glad I didn't pay $20 bucks to see them sleeping.

Our next stop was the center of town which is really pretty. It was your typical tourist hot spot with a lot of shops, restaurants, and bars. We had reservations for a chocolate factory store and although I normally don't like chocolate especially when it is given in a stupid heart shaped box with the Wal-Greens price tag still on it I was up for a tour of a real chocolate factory. The guide was a minister with 7 kids, 7 grandkids and a tattoo. He was entertaining but the best part was sampling the chocolate, especially the key lime chocolate bar. I might re think my dislike for chocolate. After my fair share of chocolate, it was time for lunch/dinner since it was already almost 4 pm. We had time to kill before our night ghost/ history tour so we walked around and checked out the stores, did some wine tasting, and ended up Scarlett's restaurant and Rhett's Piano bar for happy hour. The ghost tour was a walking tour around the city that was mostly history about how the city came about and of how the place is thought to be haunted. It was pretty cool and I learned a lot like how the terms saved by the bell, graveyard shift, and how Home and Garden is responsible for changing the Parlor into Living Room.

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday it was back to work but not until I met with with the Hoffmans again at Animal Kingdom. Once again I left my phone on the Dinosaur ride but realized it much faster then the other day. We had lunch at Rainforest Cafe then I had to head back to work for a fun filled rainy afternoon. Saturday, as many of you reading this know, was the rebirth of the 4th of July party. You all know this because you were there and I wasn't. However, I called on my break and got to talk to many of you and hear about all the delicious food you were eating while I was eating Mac and Cheese. The perk was at the end of the night packing up the movie a lifeguard and I looked up and saw a shooting star. I shoulda made a wish......

Monday I was able to meet the Hoffman kids up in the morning before work at Hollywood studios. Even though it was the holiday, the park wasn't crowded at all and I was able to walk back to work to start my shift. It didn't feel like 4th of July but we still had a fun hot day at the pool. At night I was able to hang out with friends from work and we went to JellyRolls, the dueling piano bar at our Boardwalk. It was really fun especially since cast members get in for free. The view from the bar was of the Epcot fireworks so we got to stay inside and watch them without a crowd of people around and continue the fun. The fireworks were awesome but I honestly don't get the fascination with them. Maybe it's because I see them everyday but even before that I hadn't understood what made them so romantic and special. I hadn't eaten anything all day so drinking was probably not a good idea and I would say it was a rookie mistake but I have lectured my residents for years on how to drink responsibly and seen the outcome of bad decision making. Luckily Lauren came over after work and she ended up taking me home since I was four deep and drunk texting mom. When we got home I passed out on the couch and woke up at 8 with a glass of water, tylenol, and a garbage can next to me. I somehow only had one shoe on and Lauren put a blanket over me. She is just the best. I have the next three days off in case you were all worried I went to work today.

There is so much more to what happened this past week, but I honestly don't know where to begin! It was great having visitors, heading out to the parks, spending time with friends, and having responsible fun. I hope everyone is having a great summer and it has been officially a month since I've been here. Time really does fly by!

O I would add pictures but I bought an external HD and took stuff off my computer and now I can't get pictures off my camera and saved to the computer so now I'm stuck back in the same issues of not showing off my pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, when it first opened, my dad lost the camera and threw out his back on Dinosaur (then known as Countdown to Extinction), but it was a lot rougher then. You do loose your phone a lot Sarah.

    ReplyDelete